Saturday, November 15, 2014

Pet Adoption

For the past few weeks the only thing that I have been able to think about is how I would love to bring a dog into our home. I grew up with dogs and they were always such a joy to have around, to lift the mood, or cuddle with you.

So I have been looking online at Pet Rescue websites in my area and I've been using Pet Finder to help me view pets from different shelters all in one place.

Here is what I have learned about the process of adopting a pet.

1. Pictures can be deceiving 

Just like online dating the profile you are viewing can be misleading. Make sure you go and meet the pet you are interested in adopting before you commit to it.

2. Get as much information as possible about your pets history.
Was it abused, if so are you going to be able to spend the time working on it's rehabilitation? If it was surrendered by an owner, find out the reasons why? Don't be afraid to ask questions. It will do more harm to you and your future pet if you bring them home and end up not being able to handle the responsibility.

My Aunt runs a pet foster program out of her house. She has had all kinds of pets come through her home and when I started to look into Pet Adoption she recommend these articles for me to read. I am now passing them on to you. Adopting an Abused DogAdopting a DogFirst Time Owners

3. Pets need love and attention just like me and you
Committing to a pet means really committing. You need to think about the time investment you are making when you adopt. Are you going to be able to take your pet out on a walk, play with it when you get home, give it the attention it needs? These are things you need to consider.


I know I have been having to really look into these things myself. I hope that soon I will be able to find a dog that fits into our family, and when I do I will share it with you.



No comments:

Post a Comment